When it comes time to replace your roof, you will find there a variety of materials. Choosing the right material depends on a variety of factors including the size and slope of your roof, the environmental conditions in your location, and other considerations like appearance and cost. One of the most popular options is ethylene propylene diene monomer, abbreviated as EPDM. EPDM is extremely affordable, attractive, and offers a wide variety of benefits.
What Is EPDM?
EPDM is often called “rubber roofing” because it is made from an extremely durable synthetic rubber material. It is commonly used on low slope and flat roofs. It is poured in multiple layers:
- The top layer which is designed to reflect the heat of the sun
- The reinforcement layer that strengthens the material with polyester fabric
- The fire-resistant layer that protects against fire
- The bottom layer that acts as the elastomeric layer
EPDM comes in either black or white finish. If you choose black, the roof will be applied as 2-4, while if you choose white the roof will be applied as 1-4.
What Are Some Of The Benefits Of EPDM?
EPDM roofing is an extremely popular choice because it offers so many benefits. Some of the primary benefits of EPDM include:
- Least Expensive: EPDM is one of the most affordable roofing options. Compared to other rubber roofing like TPO and PVC, EPDM costs less per square foot.
- Quick And Affordable Installation: EPDM is installed with rolls of the material. So the installation goes fast, reducing the overall costs of the price of the roof.
- Long-Lasting: EPDM lasts for 30 years on average. With a good maintenance program, they can last even longer than that.
- Lightweight: EPDM weighs only a half-pound per square foot. This is much lighter than other roofing materials like metal and asphalt.
- Energy Saving: Whether you choose black or white, EPDM roofing can save you money on your HVAC bills. With white, you’ll save in the summer as it reflects the heat from the sun. With black, you’ll save money in the winter as it absorbs the heat from the sun.
- Weather Resistant: EPDM can withstand a high degree of heat, strong winds, and heavy rains. It can withstand most of the harshest weather conditions.
- Fire Resistant: The additional fire-retardant layer helps ensure the roof is fire-resistant. This is especially important in industrial buildings.
These benefits highlight why EPDM roofing is so popular in commercial roofing.
Work With A Professional Roofing Company
EPDM is a very complicated roofing system that you do not want to try to install without a team of professionals. At Gulf Tex Roofing and Services, we are experienced with all commercial roofing materials including EPDM. We’ll work with you to determine if this is the best roofing option for you and then put together a plan to install the system. We also offer a full maintenance program for EPDM roofs that can help your roof last its full lifespan. Give us a call to get started today!